Pages

February 21, 2015

Feudal Legacy

On top of designing a board game, I've been contracted to do the visual design and illustration for a Pen & Paper RPG called Feudal Legacy.

Right off the bat I needed to come up with a fresh look for some very old concepts. Elves, Dwarves, etc. After some exploration, and a lot of emails back and forth with the game designer I landed on some pretty solid designs (and found a way to update a style that I loved as a teenager).

First up was Elves. I did some preliminary sketches and then put this together.


After I received approval on the design (and got home from vacation, because one can only do some much work while on vacation) I moved into CSP (Manga Studio for most) and did up the line art.


I knew I was aiming for a finished product that looked like a mix of pencil and ink, but I wasn't sure of the specific process to use, so I tried a few things...

Pencils, Markers, Ink Wash, Digital Tone

In the end we decided on a relatively painless process. I printed the line art on letter paper, shaded it with pencil, and then scanned it back in for a little attention from Photoshop's dodge tool.


Once I had a process nailed down I started building out examples of male and female citizens for each of the six races. Come back next week and I'll show you how that went.

No comments:

Post a Comment